There are so many preconceived notions about women that exist in society. So many that I’d probably be sitting here typing for a week straight if I resolved to bullet point each and every one that I’ve ever come across in my entire life so far! Women are horrendous drivers, women cannot follow directions, women are excessively emotional and hormonal, all women say the exact opposite of what they really mean… blah blah blah! All complete nonsense! Although we may share a gender, no two women are the same my friend. So you cannot put us all in some communal box and say that we all have the exact same likes/dislikes, habits and personality traits, because of course we don’t. And in the same respect, I don’t think that all men should be pigeonholed on account of their gender either. I know plenty of men who do not retain any kind of tough/macho exterior, who actually enjoy talking about their feelings and who can be regarded as Class A neat-freaks! And so I’m aware that the masculine stereotypes that exist in society are also complete and utter rubbish too (don’t worry male readers I haven’t forgotten you).
Therefore, in defiance of such out-dated popular opinion, below I have listed 8 things about myself which contradict some of the gender guidelines that I’m supposed to follow as a woman:
1) I don’t have any kind of attachment to bags/purses, they’re such nuisances! If it weren’t for social conventions I’d retain everything that I need in my pockets.
2) When it comes to makeup, I’m a pro with liquid eyeliner and fake eyelashes but that’s about it. Even after watching countless Youtube tutorials I still don’t have a clue what to do with blushers, bronzers, toners or any other cosmetic products that MAC and Bobbi Brown try to rip us off with.
3) Spending the day shopping is a nightmare. Aimlessly wandering around stores and trying on clothes makes me tired and hungry, so I will only subject myself to such horrors when it is absolutely necessary. For the most part, I thank God for online shopping!
4) I don’t diet or count calories, I eat and count cakes.
5) I really don’t like unnecessary drama and try as hard as I can to stay away from people who do.
6) I don’t have random, inexplicable mood swings that cause me to cry or snap at people for no reason.
7) I’m not really fazed by bouquets of flowers.
7) I can’t say that The Notebook is one of my all time favourite films (I know, I know, I’m a poor excuse for a girl… what’s new!)