Today I had one of those reflective days, my mum and I were sorting through old photos and I found myself being consumed by a familiar wave of nostalgia. I started reminiscing about my childhood and just how different my youth was compared to that of my younger cousins and nephews and nieces who would all be classified as being a part of Generation Z, meaning that they were born after the year 2000 and therefore missed out on the awesome decade that was the 90’s! And so I decided to put together a list of 20 nineties nostalgic points that will always hold a special place in my heart.
So let’s begin, if you grew up in the nineties too you’ll remember:
- Reading all of the Harry Potter books and then growing up alongside all of the actors on the big screen.
- The crazes of Yo-Yos, Pokemon cards and Pogs and the subsequent banning of all of them in the playground.
- Owning a gooey alien in a pod of slime. And then thinking that if you stuck two of them together and put them in the fridge that they would have a baby, because so many of your friends had apparently seen it happen with their own eyes!
- Having all of the Disney movies and Mrs Doubtfire, Titanic and Forrest Gump on VCR and having to rewind them all the way back to the beginning before you were able to watch them again.
- If you weren’t allowed a dog, a happy substitute was either: a Furby, a Polly Pocket, a Tamagotchi or a little tank full of Sea Monkeys!
- Never missing an episode of UK shows like Blue Peter, Art Attack and The Queens Nose or US shows like Saved By The Bell, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Kenan And Kel.
- Collecting Beanie Babies was an addiction and preserving their tags was essential.
- Thinking that Britney and Justin were the best couple in the entire world!
- Wearing those stick on magnetic earrings before you were allowed to get your ears pierced.
- Having a Nokia 3310 and feeling like a boss.
- Downloading Crazy Frog as your ringtone and then getting sick of it after 10 minutes!
- Saving school-work on floppy disks and then finding that they’d dismantled in your rucksack!
- Celebrating birthday parties at McDonalds with good old Ronald McDonald.
- Recess, Hey Arnold, Doug, Pinky and the Brain, Arthur, Dexter’s Laboratory, Johnny Bravo… need I say more?
- Having a PS1 and playing Tekken, Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the Hedgehog for hours on end.
- Having a million and one gel pens, scented and non-scented.
- Not being able to use the internet if someone was on the phone and vice versa and always having to wait for that annoying dial-tone!
- Choosing a breakfast cereal solely on the basis of the ridiculously amazing prize that would be concealed inside!
- Watching Supermarket Sweep and wishing with all your might that Dale Winton would invite you on the show, because he made grocery shopping look so fun!
- Knowing the lyrics to all of the Spice Girls songs, but not knowing the actual meanings behind the words. ‘When two become one…’ looking back it was slightly bizarre that so many of us would run around the house singing those songs at the top of our lungs without anyone batting an eyelid
Ah, how I miss the 90s!